Is my life repeating itself... or is it just me?
So I've spent the week working on a new website for keeping track of collaboration information. It is to be your basic php frontend to a mysql database. It took me a few days to remember everything I had forgotten from the last time I did this - so thought it might be wise to jot down a few notes this time.
I used Photoshop / ImageReady for my frontend... I know - it's so early 2000's - but it does give me a fair looking frontend in no time.
Things to remember for ImageReady:
- When slicing the header, slice the header into at least 5. You'll want the two thin edges - plus at least three interior (above left nav, and one other split). Depending on the shape of your header, you may eve want more - if you want to allow for stretching horizontally.
- When slicing the body, slice the two thin edge pieces - then the nav, then the body.
- Footer can be sliced just into 3 - but again, think about horizontal stretching.
- To stretch horizontally, you'll have to take a chunk of the header and footer to be used for the background of the cells that could stretch. Create a small image from the slices.
- Layers are your friends... use them. Plus, layer blending effects make good rollover effects.
- Make sure there are no missing pixels between slices especially at the edges!
Once sliced, break it into some include files for php (std_header.inc, std_footer.inc, etc).
A great HTML reference I use is Index DOT Html at http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/ Specifically, they have a very good element index (here) that contains all the html elements complete with browser differences/specifics .
The also have a similar reference for css here.
This site it a fabulous reference, I've used it for years... never let me down.
More to come....